The Trafalgar Tavern

The Trafalgar

The Trafalgar Tavern (click picture to see enlarged version)

By Greenwich standards, the Trafalgar Tavern is positively modern, having been built in 1837. It quickly became famous for its whitebait suppers, with distinguished diners such as Charles Dickens, William Thackeray and Wilkie Collins arriving by river. The wedding breakfast scene in Our Mutual Friend is set by Dickens in the pub. The whitebait, a small fish, were netted in the river and cooked almost immediately, served with iced champagne or punch. They are still sold today in the restaurant.

Trade in the area declined towards the end of the 19th century and the building became in turn an institute for merchant seamen, a working men's club, and flats. However, in 1965 it was reopened as a pub after having been restored to its Victorian grandeur.

The Trafalgar Tavern

Click image to enlarge.

This site and all contents Copyright © 2000 - 2012 Alan Palmer, apart from Greenwich Day by Day, which is Copyright © 2005 - 2008 David Male.